Sunday, June 03, 2007

BASILE: "MESSI will be the playmaker in Copa"

After Argentina and Switzerland played to a 1-1 draw under heavy rain for most of the first half, Alfio BASILE revealed an important decision he already made: "I liked what I saw from MESSI tonight, I'm pleased. There are a few things about the play-maker role he needs to work in. But we will take him slowly. He'll play our next game in that position (on Tuesday against Algeria at the Camp Nou). And by 28 June, when we'll start the Copa America, he'll play much better."

That's it then. Mystery solved. MESSI is and will be for years to come (if he succeeds) our play-maker. Our "enganche".

As for the team in general, BASILE said "we tried to play my kind of game. What I care about it the intention. The way we play. I don't like to win at all costs".

"I'm satisfied. We lacked that finishing touch. The rain played its part but we were the better team. They had two chances and scored one."

"We always played with the ball on the floor. Argentina have to win and play good."

MESSI himself said "I liked to play there. It wasn't my best game, the pitch didn't help, they were very well positioned and it was complicated for us. But we did what we could and we always tried to play. That's what's important."

No comments: