We will concentrate on the Copa America head-to-head history between Albicelestes and Cafeteros.
Here are some facts and figures:
- This will be the 11th Copa America match between Argentina and Colombia.
- Argentina won 6, scoring 34 goals.
- Colombia won 2, scoring 12 goals.
- They only drew twice (1-1 in Ecuador 1993. Diego SIMEONE (ARG) and Freddy RINCON (COL) beind the scorers and 0-0, also in Ecuador 1993. That match was decided with a penalty shoot-out and Argentina won 6-5).
- The first time these two sides met in the Copa America was in Santiago de Chile in 1945. Argentina demolished Colombia 9-1 with goals from PONTONI (2), MENDEZ (2), MARTINO, BOYE, LOUSTAU and FERRARO (2). MENDOZA scored the only goal for Colombia.
- Last time they faced, Argentina won 3-0 (Copa America Peru 2004) and advanced to the final match. The scorers that day were TEVEZ, Lucho GONZALEZ and Juan Pablo SORIN.
- The last time Colombia won, was also 3-0 in Copa America Paraguay 1999. The scorers were Iván CORDOBA, Edwin CONGO and Jhonnier MONTAÑO. But that game became famous because it was when Martín PALERMO (ARG) missed three penalty kicks.