Paraguay will be happy with a draw as that will mean they will win Group C. Argentina, on the other hand, will be looking to win, avoid Mexico in the quarter-finals and play Peru.
As we prepare for this match, in which a lot of Argentina fans will be happy to see AIMAR and TEVEZ from the start, let’s see some facts and figures about the rich history of head-to-head meetings between the Albiceleste and the Albirroja.
- This will be the 92nd match between both teams.
- Argentina won 49, scoring 189 goals and conceeding 95.
- Paraguay won 14.
- There were 28 draws.
- For Copa America, this will be their 22nd meeting.
- Paraguay NEVER defeated Argentina in the history of the Copa America.
- Argentina have won 17 of those 21 matches, scoring 67 and conceeding 19.
- Their first Copa America meeting was in Buenos Aires (16 October, 1921) and Argentina won 3-0 with goals from LIBONATTI, SARUPPO and ECHEVERRIA.
- The last time these two teams met in this continental cup, was in Cochabamba, Bolivia in 1997 (1st round). Goalkeeper José Luis CHILAVERT scored a penalty kick for Paraguay and Marcelo GALLARDO equalized for Argentina in the last minute (also from the spot, after missing a previous penalty kick in the 55th minute).
- The biggest score between these two was an 8-0 win by Argentina at Santiago de Chile in the Copa America 1926.
- The only competitive match (non-friendly) that Paraguay won against Argentina was a World Cup Qualifier for Germany 2006. 1-0 in Asunción, Paraguay (3 September, 2005). The scorer was non-other than Roque SANTA CRUZ.
A great retrospective for Argentina against Paraguay. BASILE’s men, with a lot of eager “reserve” players, will sure be looking to keep that favorable history going strong.