Monday, April 14, 2008

Davis Cup - Bring Em' Russians On!!!!

As usual, he was always there for us when needed the most but the only difference was today wasn’t just like any other day.

In a five set thriller, which lasted for four hours and nine minutes, David NALBANDIAN sealed Argentina’s winning point over Sweden. He defeated Robin SODERLING 6-4, 1-6, 4-6, 6-4 & 9-7.
David burst into tears when the match ended, having overcome tough match conditions, rough weather, his own personal fatigue and an almost permanent score disadvantage.

“What I lived today with my people was very exciting: I gave it all, run all the way to hell and back, and won, that’s why I could not stop the tears, I expressed myself like that.”

Overwhelmed by the fans’ support, he admitted that was key to breaking SODERLING, who showed no signs of being affected by the environment.

“I was not fully fit on one of my legs, but the people deserved the effort and I took no precautions.”
The final match of the series saw Juan MONACO taking on Thomas JOHANSSON. Pico had no problem seeing him off with a 6-3 & 6-3 win to complete Argentina 4-1 victory.

Next up will be the semi-finals and it will be a repeat of the 2006 final, as we will face Russia. But the good news is that this time, we will face them in our own backyard
.

No comments: