Saturday, May 30, 2009

2009 Rolland Garros - Del Porto The Sole Survivor

Juan Martin DEL POTROo continued his solid play at this year’s French Open, comfortably defeating dangerous Russian Igor ANDREEV 6-4, 7-5, 6-4 on Saturday to advance to the fourth round.

Despite struggling some with his serve and not feeling at ease with the court conditions, DEL POTRO proved to be too steady from the baseline for his Russian opponent, who has one of the best forehands in tennis but struggles on the backhand side.

“I was not very comfortable during 80 percent of my match, and then the court. I didn’t feel very comfortable, either. It was very dry, very fast. He is a very hard hitter. He hits his ball very hard, and sometimes it’s difficult to return,” he said.

The 6-foot, 6-inch Argentine struck six aces for the match and won 82 percent of his first serve points, but he also threw in five double faults. The world No. 5 also hit 37 winners to just 27 for ANDREEV.

In the fourth round, he will have a much tougher proposition as he will be up against the crowd when takes on local hero Jo-Wilfried TSONGA. DEL POTRO is the only Albiceleste remaining in the French Open as Maximo GONZALEZ was defeated 4-6, 7-5, 6-1, 6-0 by Spain’s Tommy ROBREDO.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

RAFA Nadal LOSES!!! I could not believe it, I mean I was in shock. Now I hope Roger can finally win it! But I will take it day by day.

Jack!